jonesblog

Comment is Free: David Cameron: the master of cynical propaganda

with 7 comments

When David Cameron tires of this prime minister lark (don’t feel you have to take your time, Dave), he should write a self-help book for aspiring rightwing politicians. It could be titled I Got Away With It – And Here’s How You Can Too. I can think of some of the promo lines: “Are you a passionate believer in free-market economics who has been lumbered with the biggest crisis of capitalism since the 1930s?” “Are you keen to turn a crisis that looks like the death knell of all you believe in into your greatest opportunity yet?”

Since Lehman Brothers went under, I’ve watched in awe as the right transformed a crisis of the market into a crisis of public spending. Even as a battery of cuts suck jobs and growth out of the economy, Cameron’s Tories still define the political debate. Despite winning just 36% of the vote, they look increasingly like Britain’s third radically transformative government since the war – the other two being the Attlee and Thatcher administrations.

How are they getting away with it? Having a supine media and an opposition still lacking a coherent alternative helps. But I have to hand it to them: this government has one of the most effective propaganda machines of modern times. If Cameron was to pen a book explaining his secrets, he could blow Machiavelli’s The Prince out of the water. While he mulls it over, I’ll suggest some key tips.

You can read the rest of the article at the Guardian website

Written by Owen Jones

January 15, 2012 at 11:03 am

Posted in David Cameron, Tories

7 Responses

1. Hi Owen….up for this?

The Debate
    EU; Road to a Peoples Europe,
    or Neo-liberal Prison?

Spkrs Owen Jones / Carolyn Jones IER
    + questns contribs from floor.

Friends Hse Manchester, Mon Feb 20?

dave hawkins

January 15, 2012 at 11:30 am

2. Owen, what part of ‘Bankrupt’ do you not understsand? With the Trillions of £’s we have in Debt and the current overspending each year, it cannot continue and this is not about politics, it is about common sense… put it on a personal level, if you earned after tax £3K a month and you spent £4.5K per month, how long do you think you could survice financially.

The fact of the matter is as follows;

People are living longer.
    We do not manufacture enough goods
    Too many people expect the state to pay for everything.
    We, as a country need to wake up to reality.

Everyone bangs on about 40% of our trade is with Europe, well that means the GREATER proportion (60%) isn’t and we need to recognise that 70% of British Business’s employ less than 100 people and of those a whopping 63% do NOT trade outside of UK Borders… so why are we wasting so much time and energy on Europe, we can retain Free Trade and other matters without being bogged down in so many areas of European Law such as Employment.

One of the reasons we have so many youngster unemployed is because by the time they come to get work, they don’t have a clue… as children in my generation, we did paper rounds, worked on Milkrounds, worked in shops, market stalls etc – it taught us work ethics, working on a milkround and market stall improved my mental arithmatic and taught me how to interact with other staff and customers.. by the time I started work at 16 for £108 a month, I was READY FOR WORK. EU Law has killed this….

Then let us look at the truth about immigration (and I am not a little Englander), too many immigrants are abusing the system and working in the UK when they do not have that right, they remain illegally in the UK, working, long after visas have expired and all the E.U Migrants DO take jobs in the UK that were previously done often by students, single parents and other low income families to boost their incomes such as Cleaners, Pubs, Restaurants, Part Time Till Operators & Shelf Fillers in Supermarkets…

The other main issue with the Country (and the rest of the world) is that there are too many Career Politicians, most of whom do NOT HAVE A CLUE about the ‘real working world’ and we need to support and encourage REAL people with REAL LIVE experience into the system.

There are many more reasons I could give, but I am cooking my dinner….!!!!

But I will leave you with this. I come from a working class family, one of seven children, my father was a shop steward, my mother stood as a Labour Candidate in the old Wanstead and Woodford Constituency (Formerly Winston Churchill) and do you know what, I would rather cut my own throat than ever vote for the Labour Party that has run us into debt every time they get into power. It is NOT governments per se that ruined industry, it has been the Unions that priced so many of my friends out of the Labour Market in industries such as Car Manufacturing, Steel Works, Ship Building, Dock Workers etc…

If you want to KNOW how we can create REAL JOBS and get all the above back manufacturing in the UK without any real cost to the private or public sector, e-mail me, I will let you know….. all parties would like it, the public would love it and if the Unions have any common sense, they would stay out of it.

Demon Lee

January 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm

• Come on then Demon Lee, tell us your plan for creating REAL JOBS, don’t keep it a secret, this government can use all the help it can get!

June walker

January 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm

• What utter rubbish we did paper rounds , we did working in the markets what 28 million of the workers they all did part time jobs.

I worked for 31 years paid my stamp and now I’m entitled to my disability benefits, or give me back my legs either way I do not mind.

No job means no work not even doing paper rounds.

Robert

February 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm

3. Er hang on Demon Lee.

Tax avoidance by the rich and greedy costs £69.9 billion a year, source:

Now remind me, how much is the UK national deficit?

For example, think about how much Vodafone have been able to avoid – up to (at least) £6b. they did that by taking the top brass at HMRC out for slap up meals in posh restaurants and ’’coming to an arrangement’’

If we clamped down seriously on this unfair, massive fraud then working class people wouldn’t have to pay and suffer for this financial crises that was brought about by rich people and their unfettered, deregulated casino banking scam.

But rich toffs like Cameron and his shabby crew don’t care about that sort of fraud. They are only interested in clamping down on benefit fraud which amounts to a mere monkey’s piss in the ocean compared to the sort of loot the likes of Vodafone and Goldman Sachs are getting away with.

Jesus Christ, why do we put up with it?

John

January 16, 2012 at 4:19 pm

• Hi John, I agree with you that welfare fraud is a nonsense compared to the deals HMRC are making with the big companies, Demon Lee has obviously swallowed the Tory propaganda that the deficit has been caused by the lazy working classes, who prefer being on benefits than working for a living. So lets see what Demon’s answer is for getting the idle back to work.

June walker

January 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm

4. i think that’s complete nonsense. my worry is that David Cameron states that you can smoke at 16 years of age but you have to buy Tobacco at 18 years of age but yet again your allowed to get married and have sexual intercourse, your allowed to drive a moped and get your provisional licence, and also can buy a lottery ticket at 16 years of age, and your also allowed children at 16 years of age.

I THINK DAVID CAMERON NEEDS TO RETHINK SOME OF THESE ISSUES